Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Have You Tried: Flaxseed?

Flaxseed are a tiny little nutty tasting seed that many Clean Eaters use to enhance the flavor of things like salads, yogurts, and baked goods. They are a great source of dietary fiber, a powerful antioxidant, and have a high level of omega-3 fatty acids. It also has cholesterol lowering properties, and may help to counter inflammatory conditions like lupus or gout. With a strong link between lack of omega-3 in the diet and prostate cancer, men in particular who are Clean Eaters should be well advised to start eating these seeds.



I bought a bag of  Bob's Red Mill Flax Seeds that I found in the baking section at Safeway. These seeds are so tiny, a small bag will last a long time.


Yesterday, I took a small bag with me to work, intent on sprinkling it on my morning yogurt to see how it would taste. I was impressed with the mild nutty taste it imparted, but the little seeds are so small, I found digging them out of my teeth a little irritating! I can definitely see sprinkling them on a mixed green salad           ( much as you would sunflower seeds ), or adding to oatmeal or even organic cottage cheese. Be advised that there can be too much of a good thing. Too much flax seed can cause constipation ( sorry, no delicate way to put that! ) in some people. Also, if you take medications for certain conditions like diabetes or blood thinners, do research and ask your doctor before consuming flaxseeds. There are apparently some potential interactions.

 I liked the addition of flax seeds to my yogurt, and will definitely use them again in other things. Anything a Clean Eater can do to add fiber and nutrition cleanly to their diet is a definitel thumbs up!