Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Greek Yogurt Review Part VI

I tried YoGreek yogurt the other day. It had a side well of granola with it; I didn't eat the granola as it had too much sugar in it, and instead had my usual fruit with the yogurt. I tried the 0% fat honey flavor.




It was really, really good. A smooth consistency and soft "mouth feel" as they call it. A slight tang, but not so much that I was taken aback by the tanginess - a 3 out of 5 on my tangy scale. 

 Ingredients in the yogurt: Grade A pasteurized milk, honey, live and active cultures. That is it!
Are you listening, Dannon? Why can't you do this?

140 calories, 11 grams of protein, 1 gram of fiber.

One thing I was impressed with about YoGreek was the low sugar count ( 10 mg ) in the container. This is pretty low for a Greek yogurt.  While the package doesn't include the word "organic" anywhere on it, it does have the seal that indicates it is made from cows that are not treated with hormones - so that is a very good thing and preferable to "regular" yogurt.

One downside for this product: the portion size is only 4.6 ounces, instead of the normal 6 ounces. You'd think 1.4 ounces wouldn't make a big difference. I think it is more a visual cue because the half moon shaped container makes you think that you aren't eating "an entire yogurt" but are having a smaller serving. 

I will definitely buy this yogurt again. Except for the smaller container ( and the fact I wouldn't consume the granola... ) there was really no drawback to this yogurt. It was good. Good, and healthy for you.