Monday, October 24, 2011

Larabar Report: Banana Bread and Pecan Pie


What is your name? Maura
What is your Quest? I seek untried, untasted Larabar varieties.
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean, African or European swallow?




I’m on a Quest which has taken me to stores large and small. Searching high and low.

I want to try as many of the Larabar flavors as I can. There are some I’ll never be able to try; I’m allergic to cashews and they are added to many of the Larabars. But…I want to get my hands on as many as I can.

This week I was fortunate enough to try two new ( to me ) flavors of Larabar: Pecan Pie and Banana Bread. Both were tasty, but I think these might be a very much YMMV flavor.


Pecan pie did indeed taste like a slice of not particularly sweet pecan pie. I enjoyed the crunchy bits of pecan, and I know I'll be buying it again as a "change of pace" flavor. However, my bar had an oily sheen on it. I think it was oil from the nuts -not entirely sure. The oil had no flavor, and didn't detract from the taste. Perhaps I got one that had been sitting on the shelf for a while.




Banana Bread is odd. It tasted like banana, to be certain. I gave a small piece to my husband, who promptly said "Tastes like what I imagine banana peels taste like." I rolled my eyes and left the room with the remainder of my Larabar - but I have to admit - it was vaguely reminiscent of banana peel. I liked it, but I found that "banana peel " characterization a bit hard to shake once I heard it.

All in all - two new flavors I'm really happy to have tried, and will purchase again.