Sunday, November 27, 2011

Grape Nuts Breakfast Bars: An Update




Last week, I posted a recipe for Grape Nuts Breakfast Bars,  and I was really excited to make a tasty, hearty something I can eat while commuting to work each morning.

Well, I made them this weekend and I have some tweaks and tricks for you.

1. Line your baking dish with non-stick aluminum foil.

I just happened to line my dish with non-stick foil, and I'm super pleased that I did. Without the foil, I suspect the bars might have been a tad difficult to remove from the pan. Also - carefully score or cut the bars while they are cooling in the pan. They were much easier to cut into nice portions this way.

2. Moar Flavor!

As it happens, I added a lot of cinnamon to my applesauce before I mixed it, and I misread my ingredients and added 3 teaspoons of vanilla instead of 2. I'm certainly glad I did; without these 2 tweaks, I think they might have been a bit bland / overwhelmingly "Grape Nutty".

3. Raisins, Craisins, Almonds, and Walnuts

Pick and choose, one, two, or all 4. The bar recipe as it stands is good. A definitely welcome tweak would be the addition of a nut ( like chopped almonds or walnuts ) -  for a textural contrast, a contrasting flavor to the heavy Grape Nuts and Raisins, and the added nutrition they bring to the bar.