Monday, January 23, 2012

Greek Yogurt Review IX : Liberte Mediterranee Yogurt

Liberte Mediterranee yogurts are a delicious "get it when you can find it" yogurt. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a few select flavors at the store the other day ( no vanilla or honey! ) so I bought a 6 oz cup to try.. For some reason, I didn't note that I didn't have a 0% fat cup in my hand - it was 4% milkfat.



Liberte Yogurt

I tried the strawberry flavor, because that was one of the only flavors available at the time of my purchase. It is a fruit on the bottom type of yogurt, but it was easily mixed and mixed thoroughly. No issues there. It was also "high test" - not 0% fat - and oh, the difference was delicious. It was thick , rich, and oh so naughty delicious.

The ingredient list was so-so - while it has 2 sources of added sugar, it was free of preservatives and unrecognizable chemical sounding ingredients. Clean Eating? Borderline. It wasn't tangy at all - maybe a tang of 1 out of 5 on my tangy scale...but it was much more dessert like.

Whole milk ingredients:

270 calories and 12g of fat? *Gulp*

By contrast, here's the 0% version ingredients - note only 1 source of added sugar ( besides the fructose in the strawberry ). Huh.

120 calories and 0g fat. Better. Would I buy this yogurt again? Yes, definitely - however, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the 0% fat version. The calories, fat grams, and carbs is worth the swap out. But looking for a sweet dessert like treat? Liberte Mediterranee is the way to go.


Sad end note: I found this at Bloom, a MD/DC/VA arm of Food Lion that is closing in the middle of next month. Many Bloom locations are closing, my Bloom just happens to be turning into a Food Lion. Fingers crossed they still will carry this yogurt.