Thursday, May 3, 2012

Safeway's Open Nature Fruit and Nuts Bars

In my continuing search for Clean snack bars to supplement mini-meals, I spied Safeway's organic brand, Open Nature, and their contribution to the natural bar market.


     I was really excited to try these - the ingredients are really CE. Simple and nothing I couldn't pronounce - my favorite! Each bar was on sale for $1 - normally I think they were $1.25 or $1.50.

Trail Mix Bar: Peanuts, Honey, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Pumpkin Seeds

Mixed Sesame Bar: Peanuts, Honey, Sesame Seeds, Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Almonds, Sun flower seeds, Pumpkins Seeds. 

( Sorry, I can't find the wrapper for the Cranberry bar - but similar low ingredient list! )

     These bars are soft and pliable from the honey - sticky but not cloyingly sweet from the honey, and perfect for a mid-afternoon mini-meal, or to stow in your desk for when a Sweet Attack hits. I think, however, these types of bars might not fair as well in the bottom of your purse, or in a gym bag or elsewhere they aren't protected. The bars bend easily, and I could see them becoming really dinged up and not particularly appetizing after being jostled around, waiting to be eaten. A desk drawer or pantry is better for these bars...

     Open Nature bars really satisfied. The only negative I'd see to these would be that each bar has 190 calories, and that 190 calories is packed into a decent sized, but small bar. While it did take me 5 or 6 bites to finish the bar, if you are a Clean Eater who tries to keep their mini-meals under 400 calories - keep this in mind. 

     These are also similar to KIND bars - whole nuts and fruits stuck together with a very light glaze of honey, so if you have had a KIND bar, you know what these Open Nature bars are like. 

     Safeways around the country will carry this "Open Nature" brand of organic bars. However, I'd also expect to find them at any Safeway Affiliated store: Carr's, Randall's, Tom Thumb, Dominick's, Von's, and Genuardi's.