Tuesday, January 15, 2013

20 Minute Skillet Salmon

 I found this recipe the other day on Foodnetwork.com's website as I was looking for an alternate way to prepare salmon. I always bake it in my convection oven with a drizzle of flavored olive oil. I tried this method ( on the stovetop ) and it worked really well. I didn't have any hoisin in the house when I prepared this, but I did have Korean BBQ sauce - and as a substitute, it tasted great. Now, before you get all alarmed, I'm well aware that hoisin and Korean BBQ aren't Clean. Like most Asian sauces, they are either heavily salty or heavily sugary. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons versus 4 cups of broccoli and over a pound of salmon - it's just an accent flavor. It's not swimming in unhealthy sauce.

The recipe is good for 2 things - presenting an alternate method to preparing salmon, and introducing non-Clean Eaters ( like your family ) to healthier dinners. My husband and son are now MUCH more comfortable eating healthier on a regular basis because I slowly but surely introduced recipes like this one into my cooking repertoire. 

You can get your family to eat Cleaner, too...it's just a matter of finding flavorful recipes that they like and are a snap to prepare, too.


20 Minute Skillet Salmon




Ingredients

  • One 15.5-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 cups medium broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
  • Four 5-ounce salmon fillets, skin removed
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro, optional
  • Kosher salt

Directions

Combine the beans, 3/4 cup water, hoisin sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic in a large skillet. Top with the broccoli, nestle in the salmon and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, cover the skillet and cook until the salmon is flaky and just cooked through and the broccoli is crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro if using. Add salt to taste and serve.




Thanks, Food Network!